Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Unforgettable food




A series of blog posts from one of our trips just wouldn't be complete without the requisite post about all the great food we ate. This trip was full of incredible food, including the above raspberry macaron and pastry. We discovered that the only sure way to keep Gavin happy at all times was to give him bread (his father's son). I'll always look back on this trip with a mental picture of Gavin with some bread in his hand or mouth.


In addition to bread and pastries, we ate A LOT of sausages. With great mustard.




There was a Ladurée shop in Lausanne where we got some macarons (we also ate some in Lucerne).




Our host in Switzerland made the most amazing meal of papet vaudois, a meal original to that region of Switzerland. It was outstanding, and I would try making it myself except I don't think I can find sausages quite like these.

We enjoyed a meal of cheese fondue while we were in Switzerland. It's a cheese-lover's dream. ;)




Schweinehaxe (of course)



Schupfnudeln (potato noodles) from the Heidelberg market



Cordon bleu and croquettes


A real show-stopper: Spargelschnitzel (asparagus Schnitzel in hollandaise sauce, covered in cheese)


Gavin is enjoying a freshly-made Stroopwaffel


raspberry tart



Apple tart


Something yummy with potatoes and lardons


And the item from the trip that Jacob found life-changing (and the rest of us enjoyed too)--a nougat log covered in delicious dark chocolate and pistachios

2 comments:

Becky Foster said...

Ok...I'm drooling over here. Where to begin. That first dessert looks amazing. I think that pistachio log would also be life changing for me, and everything in between I want now! And the photos are lookin' awesome! Glad you made it home safely last night. I was sad that you weren't there to enjoy your delicious dessert with us. Thanks for the drink. And Jacob has a fantastic voice!

Emily said...

This comment applies to about five postings: Gavin is adorable and he totally looks like you, your owl cake was amazing, Switzerland looks incredible, I love the spider web photo, I wish I could taste all the food you posted, and I hope you are having/had a fantastic trip with Jared and Ashley!